Monday, September 17, 2007

A Concert and An Early Teenager!

Thankfully I was feeling better on Saturday, so Ben and I were able to go to the concert. The only problem is that I realized that I didn't have anything that really fit, that was appropriate for the event. If it was a normal concert I would have thrown on my jean Capri's and been out the door, but we would be sitting at one of the charity tables and so I needed to look a little nicer. Ben watched the Boy's and Sophia while Aubrie and I went to the mall. Aubrie and I made a quick stop at the Nail Club so I could get a much needed pedicure, and Aubrie was able to get her toes and nails painted. She picked a bright orange and was thrilled when she got a flower painted on her big toe. She was a little impatient waiting for me, wishing she could have had the massage, foot bath, etc... For some reason they just paint her nails, assuming she is too young for all that. Maybe when she turns eight I'll spoil her with a real pedicure. I kept reminding her that I had my first pedicure when she was a month old. She didn't seem to care about that. Her generation is so spoiled! Actually, I don't really remember my Mom getting them at my age either:)
After going through the clothes at Charlotte Russe ,FOREVER, I decided on something simple...jeans and an button up shirt. It was a black long shirt that covered my butt...PERFECT! I just added a splash of color with a red necklace and bracelet and I felt somewhat pretty when I walked out the door! We all had to meet over at the Knights house over in Litchfield, so Ben and I had to leave here at 4:00. My Mom was well prepared for the long night with three blockbuster movies:)
The Limo picked us up at 5:30. There were 5 couples...Scott and Natalie Godown (who invited us to come), Jenny and Jason Knight (the host of the evening) and two other couples who are good friends of the Knights. The limo was kind of a tight squeeze....when they say a 10 person limo they must be thinking of teenagers or something! Not Adults! It was still fun to all ride together and talk. It was also funny to see the faces of people who were driving by. Of course, they couldn't see us b/c the windows are tinted, but we could see them staring at the car. I realized that I hadn't been in a Limo since Jr. High School. Really the only cool thing about it was that we could all socialize face to face. (pictures will be coming later....I forgot my camera, duh!)

We got to the concert around 6:00. The only people they were letting in at that time were the people who had a "charity" table. I guess businesses buy these tables, which all goes to charity. It includes a nice dinner, some gift bags and of course the floor seats at the concert. Jason had called the lady in charge before the concert and asked if she could put the Knight table in the front. When we got there it was the middle table right in the front...pretty nice! Anyway, after dinner they had an auction which lasted about an hour. There was actually some cool things, like a "Dancing with the Stars" package. It included a personal dance lesson and trips to the recordings and things of that nature. I wouldn't have minded winning that one, esp. since Marie Osmond is doing it this year, but I really didn't have 11,000 dollars to spend! Ha!
The concert started out with Cheap Trick. At first it was weird b/c they are so old now. Towards the end they started playing some songs I remembered and they ended w/ one that the kids love to play on Guitar Hero all the time, "Surrender". The lead singer kept looking at our table....that was kind of creepy since they are the age of our Grandpa's! Ha! It was still fun to be up close and take it all in. I kept telling Ben I wish we were that close at the Madonna concert!
After Cheap Trick, Sammy Hagar went on. I wish I would have had more fun with Cheap Trick. We were just saving it up for Sammy, but I was totally unimpressed! The whole concert had a Jimmy Buffet feel, kind of like I was at a Spring Break Party. I actually was very bored in the beginning, but our table was being entertained by an older lady two tables away from us, who obviously had WAY to much wine and making a big fool of herself. We kept thinking how she was going to have to face all those people at the office on Monday!
The concert ended about 11:30, so by the time the Limo took us back to the Knights it was Midnight...ARGH! Of course, we still had a 30 minute drive home. We were so tired, but Ben still had to watch the BYU game he recorded, so we didn't get to sleep until 2:00 AM! I woke up w/ the biggest headache. I don't know how I ever survived those late nights in college, night after night.
Yesterday was church, we didn't make it to sacrament b/c my Headache was so bad. Ethan was also breaking down. I think we have to make sure my Mom puts the kids to bed by a decent hour from now on. We didn't go to Sunday School either, b/c we were watching the kids practice their primary program in the Chapel. It's amazing how they can get all that organized. Young Women's was good. The lesson was on service, and there were some heart touching stories shared. I cried, of course! Last night Erin, Marcee, a couple of Laurels, and I went to wish a new Laurel happy birthday. She is struggling right now and we are hoping that we can help her want to come. We have such a great group of Laurels, she is really missing out on such a great group of girls.
This morning has actually gone well. (I shouldn't jinx myself!). I actually woke up early and laid down w/ Aubrie and Boston before they got ready for school. I made their lunches, did Aubrie's hair and sent them out the door. I then jumped on the Elliptical and Sophia was nice enough to sleep until I was done. About 8:15 I went in to wake Ethan up for School. I swear I have a teenager already! I opened his darkening shades and his shutters and he started mumbling something and then put his covers over his head. I told him it was time to go to school and I put his clothes on his bed. I came down stairs to eat breakfast and all the sudden I heard his door slam. I went to check on him a few minutes later only to find that he had closed his shutters and climbed back in bed. He moaned and complained that he wanted to sleep and didn't want to go to school. What is he going to be like when he is a teenager!
He pulled the same stunt he pulled last week, when I took him to school. He cried and cried saying he wanted to stay home and sleep. I didn't give in this time. I dropped him off and left. I'm sure he doing fine now...guess I'll find out when I pick him up in an hour.

0 comments: