Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Columbus Day at Rocky Point

Well, we were originally going to go to Disneyland over the holiday, because Aubrie's original calendar said she had off this Monday and Tuesday. Then we got an email saying that was a mistake, so we decided to go to Rocky Point instead. It was a nice alternative! The weather was fabulous, and it was a great relaxing trip. Trips are getting less stressful now that the kids pack for themselves, and I just have my normal "trip" lists that I have memorized! I didn't even start packing until Friday night.
I was determined to get to the beach early on Saturday, so I woke up extra early to get out of the door by 8:00. Well my efforts were thwarted by a freeway closure, that put us 30 minutes behind. Then we realized we wanted inter tubes, so we made a 15 minute stop for that. We ended up pulling up to the resort around 1:00. To our surprise our room was ready, so we unloaded the car and headed to the beach. We spent time throwing the football around with the kids, and playing with the Velcro paddle ball. Then I enjoyed some time in the sun, while Aubrie had some bracelets made for her friends. Aubrie is so thoughtful when it comes to her friends. While the vendor was making bracelets, Ethan and Sophia were going through his merchandise. Ethan came up to me and asked me for his wallet so he could buy Sophia a necklace. I couldn't see what she was trying on because I had my head down, as I was laying out on my stomach. Ben told Ethan not to get her the necklace because it was too big for her. I started to get after Ben for discouraging Ethan from buying something for his sister, until he told me to look and when I did I couldn't stop laughing. It was a huge flower shell necklace the size of her fist. It took up half her chest. We told Ethan that there would be a lot of vendors coming by, and to have her look at everything. Luckily he went for that.
After the bracelets were made, we headed out to the water with our inter tube. We love floating out in the water. It's natures Wave Pool. Eventually the tide started to go in, so we got out of the tubes and walked the beach. The kids love looking for sea life, especially Sophia and Aubrie. Ethan loves digging in the wet sand. The weather was so amazing, we spent until sunset on the beach. We then went upstairs and cleaned up for dinner.

For dinner we headed into town. We ate at a restaurant we ate the very first time we every went to Rocky Point. The service was VERY slow, but we thought we would try it again, because it was recommended. The service was VERY slow, again! Aubrie got a steak that tasted like leather. Luckily Ben and I got the fajitas, which were very good, and there was plenty to share with her. The rest of the kids got quesadillas. Sophia liked looking at the boat cruises shoot off their fireworks. After dinner, we headed to Thrifty. As we were walking there, we ran into Ethans soccer coach. Small world! After we all got our scoops of ice cream at Thrifty and sat down to eat, Boston's teacher (Ms. Bills) and her family walked in the door. Boston said she was going to Rocky Point, and mentioned on the way how weird it would be if we ran into her. What are the chances? They both thought it was so cool, and she took a picture with him in front of Thrifty. We had a first at Thrifty this time. Only 2 out of the six of us didn't finish our ice cream. The girl scooped the biggest scoops on the planet, and we all got doubles. Ben and Boston were the only ones who finished theirs. It didn't feel right to throw it all away! When we got home we were all so tired. Aubrie and Sophia crashed on the way home. We watched a little TV and then the rest of us went to bed.
Sunday was our full day at Rocky Point. We woke up late (8:30) and missed the lowest part of the tide, but it felt GREAT to sleep in! The kids got as much time on the rocks, before the tide came completely in. We bought some nets, so they could catch fish. Sophia and Aubrie spent forever doing that.


Ethan spent time digging a big hole out on the sand, and Boston and I played catch with the velcro paddles. After soaking in some rays, the rest of the kids came in, when the tide started to come in. We played some football with the kids for a while, and then we took the tubes in the water and floated the waves.
Ben took the boys and Sophia up to the pool, while Aubrie and I laid on the beach and soaked in some sun. Then we heard the Mango man come by, and being it was close to lunch, we both enjoyed the best Mango's on a stick we have ever had there. Just as we were finishing, the rest of the gang showed up and and got some for themselves. Then it was time for fun on the banana boat and on the jet skis.
I joined them on the Banana Boat, and we had a great time. The guy driving the boat had fun going really fast and then slowing down. We had a fun bumpy ride. The kids were laughing the whole time. After the banana boat, Ben took the kids out on the jet ski. Last time they did the jet ski, the boys didn't like it. They loved it this time, and Aubrie got to drive...steer?? When they got back, Ben watched the kiddos while I got a massage. I love getting the massages on the beach! It's so nice with the breeze and the sound of the ocean! Aubrie didn't want to leave with the others, and so she parked her towel by me. After my massage, I decided I was going to pay for her to have one. She works her body out a lot with gymnastics, and I thought it would be a nice surprise, and a good reward for her good grades. Aubrie was excited and a bit nervous to get one. She made me promise I would stay close and watch. She LOVED it! Thinking she will be wanting one from now on, when we go!
After our massages we all stuck around for about another hour and then headed up to the pool for another 30 minutes, before we headed back to our condo. We ended up staying outside for 9 hours. When I told Ethan we needed to leave the pool so we could eat dinner he said, "WHAT? I haven't even had luch yet!". It was true. We had a variety of snacks, mangos, etc., but we were having so much fun we played right through lunch till dinner. We have NEVER done that before. We decided since it was Sunday, we would make dinner and skip Thrifty. Ben made spaghetti and meatballs I packed, and we had it with french bread and fruit. I was surprised that we didn't hear complaining over skipping out on Thrifty. After dinner, they spent some time on their DS's while I cleaned up. Then, we ate some candy and popcorn, and played our new "You Have to be Kidding Me" game. Its a kid version of "Would You Rather."
We played that twice and then the boys watched sports in the family room while Aubrie and I watched some movies in one of the bedrooms, while Sophia slept. Eventually the boys joined us, because the TV version of Bourne Ultimatum was on. The kids LOVED that movie and I had fun watching it with them, even though I should be embarrassed to say they watched it! Ha! After the movie, Aubrie and I went to bed, Ethan put himself to bed after reading a book, and Boston and Ben stayed up a bit more to watch some sports. I was exhausted after a long day on the beach.
Monday we woke up at 7:30 and packed up and headed to the beach. The kids enjoyed the low tide, while I soaked in some sun. The kids played football with Ben one last time, and then I took the girls out to float in the tubes. We left the resort around 1:00 to head back home. I so DID NOT want leave this time. This trip was way to short, and pulling up to our house was torturous, because it meant unpacking, homework for Aubrie, and back to the school/extra curricular grind. Thankful for a few days of bliss, though!

0 comments: