Friday, October 7, 2011

"Goodbye Grandma"

Last month was a sad one for me. After 6 years of living with us, my Mom moved. Her brother offered her to live with him, and when we caught wind of it, we knew this was a good thing for her to do. The kids are older and busy now, and besides spending her time with Sophia, she didn't have much else going on for her here. We were worried about her and her social life, and realizing Sophia would be going to Kindergarten next year, she would be even more lonely. We knew she would be moving since the beginning of July, but it just didn't seem real until the movers came to put her stuff on the truck. Then it hit me! It's so weird to come home to an empty house during the day, and her room being just a guest room now. I was really worried that Sophia would have a really hard time. She was crying and sad the night before she left, but she seems to be ok now. Of course, she has only been gone a few weeks, so Sophia may still think she is just on vacation. I think the holidays will be hard.

It is a good thing though. She is doing great out there, and has a busy social life. She lives in a community with people her age, and is doing activities all the time. Sometimes you have to put your own selfish needs aside, and do the hard thing. That is what I had to do. I'm happy she is doing well. She needs to live her golden years with people her age, having fun. I'm glad she was here for the early years of my children. She was a good example of love and kindness. She also spent a lot of time with them doing puzzles, swimming, coloring, doing playdoh, reading, and taking them to the parks, trips to get ice cream etc. That is when my kids needed her most. It was a blessing in their and our lives. She will be missed.

0 comments: