Friday, August 13, 2010

The dreaded Meet the Teacher Night!

So earlier this week I realized I could check Power School (a progam online set up to monitor your kids work progress) to see who the kids teachers would be. Aubrie got a teacher she didn't want, and Bostong didn't get Aubrie's 3rd grade teacher. He was really disappointed with that. Ethan wasn't signed up for pwer school, so his would be a surprise. For Aubrie and Boston, the anticipation came with who would be in their class.

Ethan's meet the teacher was first. I thought he would either be in Boston's first grade teachers class, or he would have his Kinder teacher who moved up to first. I would have been happy with either. When we got there, I realized how much I wanted him with his Kinder teacher when I realized how happy I was when I saw his name on her list. Not only was his name onher list, but so were all the other Mormon kids that were in her class last year, along with two other Mormon kids from our ward. So there are 5 kids from our Ward in his class. There were a few other Moms that I knew from last year, whose kids were back in Ms. Nebel's, aand we were all smiling ear to ear, elated that we got to spend another year together at parties, fieldtrips, etc! Ethan surpisingly seemed indifferent, and was more interested in playing on the playground, and getting the free ice cream in the Lunchroom. I had fun catching up with parents I hadn't seen all summer.
The most stressful part for me was waiting to see who was in Aubrie and Boston's class. I asked around and got postive feedback about their teacher, so that made me feel better. It just came down to who they had in their classrooms. As we were waiting, Aubrie's best school friend found her and they both had the same teacher. Aubrie was quickly much more relaxed, and opotomisitc. Suddenly the teacher she didn't wan't was the teacher she did want. She had fun running around finding her school friends as we waited for the doors to her hall to open. Once the hall was opened, it was funny to see the kids run around to each classroom checking out to see who was in each class. After meeting Aubrie's teacher, I rushed down to the 3rd grade hall, hoping to get there before Boston (he was playing a game of chess with his chess teacher in the lunch room). My timing was perfect as we both got to his hall at the exact moment. Good think I got there when I did, too. Boston was so dissapointed that none of his freinds were in his class. He started to look at the other teacher's lists and kept asking me to switch him to this teacher, and then another, teacher, etc. After looking at all the other classes, the tears started to swell. I felt so bad for him, but felt confident that he was placed with the right teacher. I told him that Heavenly Father knows where he needs to be, and he needed to have Faith in that. This is the first year Boston has EVER cared about whose class he is in. Luckily Boston makes friends fast, and I know he will be ok. It's just heartbreaking now. Overall, I feel good about this year, except for the fact that class sizes are SO BIG! Wondering where all that tax money we voted for the school's is going? Grrrr!

0 comments: