Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Boston's 8th!

Boston was so excited for his 8th birthday, that he asked me to give him Benadryl so he could go to sleep. LOL Boston started his morning off, waking up with a door filled with crepe paper streamers.
When he came downstairs, I gave him a light up pin that said, "It's my 8th birthday". He thought that was cool! I then cooked his favorite breakfast (besides LIFE cereal); french toast on the special plate, of course. He was worried that he wouldn't be getting the special plate, because he usually has a bowl of cereal in the morning, and he would be having lunch at school, and we wouldn't be using it at his birthday party because it might get broken. This kid thinks everything through!

Boston had a good day at school. I showed up for lunch, and after his class was done eating, we went out to the playground where we all sang to him and celebrated with ice cream sandwiches. Soon after, Boston's class had to do a skit during the school assembly. Boston borrowed Ben's Halloween costume, and hammed it up during his part. He was excited to do that, and wasn't afraid to be goofy in front of the whole school. I love that about him.





After school, Boston had his party. This year he wanted a Sports party. He was very picky about who he invited, because he wanted them to be good at sports, and when I mentioned friends that didn't go to his school, he was afraid they would not feel comfortable. I was afraid that he was going to have a low turn out, because if you just invite athletic boys, you run the risk that they might have football games, or practices for other sports. Well my fears were confirmed. Only 4 boys showed up. Typically his parties are bigger; usually around 10-12 boys. The first part of his party was a tether ball championship, so he didn't really notice much. Then when I told him it was time to go to the park for the soccer and kickball championship, he said we couldn't go, because everyone wasn't here yet. I told him this was it and he needed to go get his shoes on. The other boys went out front and I went to get Boston, only to find him in the mudroom crying. My heart was breaking for him! I was trying to comfort him, and also was feeling a bit angry at all those Mom's who never RSVP'd. Not that that would have made a difference, but at least I could have told Boston, and maybe we could have done something different, like Castle and Coasters or something. Anyway, he tried to make the best of it, and I did catch him having fun.
Boston's Football Snickers Icecream Cake

When they all left, I was cleaning up and I saw his pin and asked him if he wanted to save it. He started crying again and said that "Eight isn't great", and he didn't want it. It took a lot to cheer him up, and make him realize what a great day he did have, and that he gets to celebrate it again when he is baptized. Ben and I left on our date, and after getting 5 minutes down the road, decided to take him with us. He thought that was pretty cool....his favorite candy and a movie, with Mom and Dad, and no one else!

0 comments: