Thursday, March 25, 2010

Back to Life and the Pinewood Derby!

Ughhh!!! I think I'm really a kid at heart, because I dread when school is in. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about learning, and school! I loved school as a kid. I would hide my sicknesses from my Mom when I was sick so she wouldn't make me stay home. The school was worried my Mom was neglectful when I was sent home with 104 temperature. They called frequently, over the next two weeks, while I was out for PNEUMONIA!!! Maybe that's why I feel like a kid now, because I didn't act like one when I was one. I just love the freedom of having the kids home. No schedules, no running everywhere. Weird coming from someone who is obsessed with organization, huh? There is no sense in it, but the fact is I like having my kids with me. (Ok, maybe a 3 day school week would be perfect for me, because I do need some days to get get stuff done and stay organized.) So there it is, and here I am back to school and anxiously waiting summer.
So far, not so bad. Monday was the typical Monday. Family night was good. We mainly read from the scriptures, on things that help us be an eternal family. I wasn't sure how 30 minutes of scripture chasing would go, but the kids surprised me. Our Stake had been working on memorizing the Family Proclamation, again. We hit a wall last year on paragraph 5, so this has been good to get us rememorizing and finishing up. I really have a strong testimony of that statement from the brethren, and see its relevence more and more as each year passes by.

Tuesday was a great day! Sophia had the neighbor kids over to play. Sophia LOVES them. She asks for them every day. What a blessing for her to have friends next door. It couldn't' come at a better time, when Ethan went off to school and left her with no one but boring old Mom to play with! Tuesday night was the Pinewood Derby. I told Boston to remember that it didn't matter if he won anything and that it only mattered if he had fun. I knew he was so excited and I didn't want him to be let down. The Pinewood Derby was much more fun than I expected. I was impressed at how nice the track was, and how professional they treated everything.


All the kids hanging out at the finish line!
I thought the firetruck was the most orginal design!
The first race was amazing. All three cars were going the same speed. It was soooo close; within hundreds of a second. (Boston's car wasn't one of them)
When they put Boston's car up there to race, I kept praying that his would reasonably keep up with the others. Then his took off ahead of the rest. Boston isn't much for wanting to show too much emotion, but I saw a little smile creep up on his face.
I was happy that he won that heat. After that heat, I was busy chasing after Sophia and trying to catch up with some friends. I heard him announced as the Wolf first place winner!
I didn't' realize what Boston had placed overall until it was announced. Boston was trying not to smile too much, when they announced him as the winner... "The youngest kid in the troop, Boston Pribyl, won first place!"


After the prayer, all the boys were wanting to race him. I was happy to see him enjoy himself. Afterwards, we went out for ice cream. I asked Boston how it felt to be the winner. He said, "It was cool! It was like I was famous for a few minutes!" He then asked me something along the lines if he was gloating too much at the church. How cute is that? What kid his age cares about something like that? I think I'm having an epiphany.....doesn't like to smile when they win, worried about gloating.....hmmm....sound like anyone else in this family? Well now I'm gloating (only because it's a family journal of course).....CONGRATULATIONS BOSTON!!!!! YOUR THE CHAMP!!! (enjoy it now, because now the pressure is on! lol)
Obviously Ethan, Aubrie and the Cat were excited for his victory, too!

0 comments: