Thursday, March 25, 2010

More school news!

This afternoon I had Boston's student-lead parent conference. He led me through much of his school work, and then showed me some activities he does in the classroom everyday. One of the things he showed me was a letter he wrote, today, about this school year. I was surprised to see how much detail he had written, and the things that were important to him. Today reminded me how excited he gets over learning and doing well in school. He couldn't get his report card fast enough, and he couldn't wait to show me all the things he had done. After school, he had to ride his bike home alone, but the gate was closed that lead to our part of the neighborhood. I told him he could take the long way. He was a little nervous about it, especially since he didn't have his siblings going with him. I told him he was a big boy now, and that I knew he could do it. After few minutes of thinking about it, he took me up on it, and off he went. I watched him bike away and realized that he is a big boy now. I sometimes forget that because Aubrie is the oldest and I put most of the responsibilities on her. But Boston has been stepping up a lot lately; playing with Sophia and trying to help out. He has always been such a responsible little boy, I just need to remember that now he is a responsible BIG boy, that can be trusted with much more.


Aubrie didn't have a parent teacher conference, but I have been surprised by the fact that she actually has been caring about her grades. She has been talking about how she hopes she does well, and has been trying to pump her teachers for hints on what her grades will be. I realized I had been micromanaging her a little too much, and decided to back off. I'm beginning to slowly embrace the Love and Logic philosophy of let them learn independence and responsibility now, when it doesn't matter as much if they fail. It's quite Heavenly to let go, I must say! She gets her homework done without me hounding her, and stays on top of her assignments on her own. If her report card isn't laced with A's, who cares? It's not like my straight A's in grade school got me anything. It's more important that she loves learning, and now she does! Right now her love is Math, Science and Writing. She told me she hates the Science test, but LOVES learning about it! I'm beginning to see a lot of me in her. Hopefully she does something with it! LOL
Oh, I'm sure she would want me to mention that she got 2nd place for the 50 yard Dash this year. She did better without me there cheering her on! It's actually quite impressive since most of the girls at school tower her with their long legs.

0 comments: