Thursday, March 25, 2010

Mexico- Day 2

So the sleeping arrangements didn't end up like we thought they would. Ben ended up with Sophia and Ethan in one room, and I ended up with Boston and Aubrie. That was a fair deal, since we both had a crazy sleeper (ie Boston and Sophia). I'm talking feet in your ribs, face, etc. I don't understand why Boston ends up like that. When we check on him at night he is upright, and when we wake him up in the morning he is upright (same with Sophia). It's a mystery! Anyway, Monday morning I wake up to Aubrie saying, "Mom, Look! The rocks are showing!" The tide was so low that there was a huge sandbar and then rocks, and then another sand bar. It was amazing. When we were in the Bahama's I remember being able to walk out really far, but there was still water. Aubrie was itching to go out, but Ethan was in his normal comotose state, so I opted to stay behind while Ben went out with Boston and Aubrie.
When I finally raised Ethan from the dead, and got him fed, we headed out only to meet up with a shivering Aubrie & company heading for the hot tub. Apparently they were finding all sorts of cool things out there, and she went diving for some big shells. I wasn't about to head to the pool area when I had this beautiful sight before me.
I headed out on my own, while Ben took the the kids to the hot tub. It was so amazing looking through the rocks and seeing all the beautiful shells. After being out there for about 20 minutes, Aubrie and Boston joined me.

At one point, Aubrie stood on this rock and started to shake it. The next thing I know Aubrie is screaming, "Mom! Look, and octopus".
I didnt' have anything to catch it with besides a huge shell we had found earlier. We scooped it up with that, just as a couple with a cup came by and offered it to us. We quickly put him in that, and within seconds he inked. After showing him to the people around us, and checking out their finds, (ie starfishes, shells, and even a stingray) we hurried back to put him in our bucket and then headed to the pool to show the rest of the family our find.
The people at the pool were loving the octopus, and watching it ink. When we went back to the beach, Aubrie and I realeased him as soon as the tide came in.

The rest of the morning we enjoyed the beach. The kids quickly made friends. Boston threw a football around with some boys, Ethan had a boy come ask him if he wanted to build a fort in the sand (that's like asking him if he wants icecream), and Aubrie made a friend to pal around with.




The whole family had fun on the banana boat, and bargaining with the locals for bracelets, sunglasses, etc. All the kids got bracelts with their names on it, except for Boston. He got one that had the Volcom, DC, (etc) symbols on it. He also was dying to get these sunglasses, and bought two pair (one in black and white). That boy seriously cracks me up! The girls got their hair braided. Yes, I said girls. I was amazed that Sophia sat still for the lady. Why will she sit still for a stranger yanking on her hair for 20 minutes and give me trouble for 2!? I loved that she was cooperating.


Having their hairbraided isn't only a fashion statement, but is actually quite practical. No worrying about fixing their hair to try to keep it out of their face all week. I do need to remember to hit their scalps with sunscreen as soon as they get it done next time. Ouch!
When we weren't at the beach, we were at the pool. The kids made friends there, too, and had fun doing crazy things on the slide and hanging out in the hot tub.

By early evening, the kids were baked, and ready to come in for the day. We hit town early for dinner (Burger King) and let the kids play while Ben ran for some groceries. Then it was our Thrifty Stop; same flavors all around, except this time Sophia got her own:) When we got back, the boys watched movies and Aubrie and I played games. An amazing day 2!

0 comments: