Monday, March 1, 2010

LIfe's Getting in the Way

I wish life would stop getting in the way of my blogging, but sometimes it just does. In a recent lesson that was given in YW, one of the questions asked was, "Why does a task seem to get harder the more you put it off?". I responded that you spend more time thinking about it than actually doing it. I like to answer that question differently now. I think its because the longer you wait the bigger the task becomes. If I clean my house a little each day, or do a load of laundry every morning, I never have a whole house to clean at once, or a days worth of laundry waiting for me. The same with blogging. The more I put off, the more all the events pile up, and I know it's going to take me a LONG time to catch up. Sometimes you just can't stay on top of things...ie, the house cleaning, laundry, ironing, etc, so you just have to take a deep breath and dive in realizing you have to commit your whole day or several hours. So here I go!

So how do I wrap up a month in one blog? I'm thinking I might end up breaking it up. I do admit that I have a good excuse for my MIA status. POTTY TRAINING!!!! I decided that I was not being a good mother by taking the easy route and letting Sophia continue to hide behind the curtains to poop her pants. Of course, I would try to get her to go, and she would resist and run away to find herself a new hiding spot. I would say, "Well I tried", but I needed to try a little harder. A couple of weeks ago I told Sophia that she only had a few diapers left and that she would have to start wearing underpants. Of course, like every other child I have potty trained, I had just recently purchase huge Sams size box of diapers (anyone want to buy them off me? LOL). I put the box away, and took a deep breath and hoped for the best! The second day she pooped on the potty all by herself. It's amazing how excited an adult can get over something like that. I was beginning to see light at the end of a long dark tunnel. A tunnel where all I was thinking about was if she needed to go potty, asking her every 30 minutes, "Are you dry? Do you need to go potty?", and trying to think of creative ways to ask her indirectly since she is so independent and would resist anything else. Finally, I feel like I'm arriving. She tells me when she needs to go, and she rarely has accidents. Of course, when she does they all seem to pile up in one day! Two in a row on Sunday, and two in a row the beginning of last week (while I was getting my hair done of course!). With every kid I feel like time is DRAAAAGIIIING while I'm potty training, and when its over I look back and say, "Well that wasn't so bad"! Kinda reminds me of what I say after I'm done with morning sickness! Another season of my life THANKFULLY done!
So what else has filled up a Pribyl month? This STAR!
We decided to start February off with something that reinforced our Stake theme; Love One Another. We got this service star from church (that was meant for Christmas, but we got ours a little late), and I decided to use it as a way to show love in Feb! The deal was that if you got the star you needed to get rid of it as soon as possible, because you didn't want to be the one left with it by the next FHE! I loved seeing how people served others to get rid of the star. Ethan's most popular service was to turn down my bed and make me little notes! The week we started the star was the week I redid Aubrie's room. (Aubrie worked hard to buy the bedding!)
The boys thought that was what Aubrie was getting star for. By the middle of the week they started running up to their room to see if they had anything new. I felt bad, and finally bought them some small baskets to put by their bedside to hold their scriptures, books, DS, etc. They were so excited for it! I love how my boys are grateful for the smallest gestures. In reality, most of Aubrie's "new room decor" was stuff she already had, just spray painted black! (LOVE SPRAY PAINT) It was all new to her, so that's all that matters! We are still passing along the star, but we have now moved on to bigger acts of service, and no longer is it a race. It's good to mix it up!
The beginning of the month, Boston had his first field trip of the year. It was to see Dr. Slim Goodbody. I wasn't planning on going, but one of them Mom's couldn't go last minute, so his teacher called me the night before. I was lucky enough to arrange babysitting, and was excited to go. I know other Mom's probably think I'm nuts, but I like riding the bus with my kids on field trips. I know its loud and not the most comfortable, but I love watching my kids interact with their classmates, and also seeing who these kids are that Boston talks about, or doesn't talk about! LOL This field trip was right up my ally, being that I LOVE the human body. It was like going to a refresher course, and silly enough, I was excited that I remembered everything he was telling them. ( I should since he is talking to grade schoolers, huh?! ha ha). Boston had a great time, and so did I.



0 comments: